Last updated on December 8th, 2023 at 09:15 am
Learning how to sell clothes online in Nigeria is one of the best decisions you will make to boost your sales if you already have a physical store or want to start making money by selling clothes.
There are now opportunities for entrepreneurs to increase sales since people are now found most times online; the average time Nigerians spend 3hr 41 mins on social media.
The testimonies of others making money online through selling different products including clothes is also proof to show that it is possible to make money selling clothes online in Nigeria.
There are many platforms to sell clothes online in Nigeria, that is what this article will explain to you and you will also learn further, on the tips on how to sell clothes online in Nigeria successfully.
Best places to sell clothes online in Nigeria
1. Online marketplaces
Big eCommerce marketplaces are already-established marketplaces with millions of monthly traffic, well-optimised websites and evidence of purchase from customers online.
There are pros and cons of using online marketplaces to sell clothes online but the fact that there are disadvantages should not stop you from using these platforms.
It is one of the best places to sell clothes online in Nigeria because they have lots of traffic monthly and have a structure that supports selling products online.
How to sell clothes online in Nigeria through Konga
- You will fill out a form with your personal information, contact details, store name, and description, Verified ID card, and account details for payment.
- You will verify your account through the message sent to your email address, after which Konga will now assign a dedicated support officer to your store.
- You will be given access to your seller dashboard called SellerHQ.
- You will upload clear pictures of your clothes with concise descriptions for people to see and buy.
Jumia is also a trusted platform for you to sell your clothes in Nigeria, they sell lots of other products also.
You can leverage this already-established platform to sell your clothes online without having to worry about creating an eCommerce site from the scratch.
How to sell clothes online in Nigeria through Jumia
- Fill out the form with your details.
- Check your email to verify your account.
- Go through the new sellers training.
- Upload the pictures of your clothes.
- Start selling.
Jiji is among the leading online stores in Nigeria, they provide platforms for people to post new and already used products.
They serve as middlemen that bring sellers and buyers together, they don’t have a store where they keep goods, they only allow people to display products on their platform for sale.
They have freemium and premium services, the premium service is limited while premium services allow users to reach more customers and also publish more products.
You can sell both new and second-hand clothes on their platform.
How to sell clothes online in Nigeria through Jiji
- Register using your Gmail or Facebook account or email/phone number.
- Take good photos of your clothes from different angles to make buyers have a good view of what they want to buy.
- Upload the pictures you snapped and then write a full description of your clothes.
- Press sell to publish it live.
2. Facebook Marketplace
Facebook market was introduced in 2016 to allow users to sell and buy products online.
Facebook has 2.7 billion users worldwide which means your business will have exposure, you will be able to reach many people.
There is a category for apparel(clothes) where you can display your clothes.
The step to register is not difficult, you just need to have a Facebook account and you navigate to the marketplace icon (it will be indicated in the image below) and click on it to have access to the marketplace.
When you scroll down on your profile you will be able to add pictures of your clothes to the listing.
You can sell clothes on Facebook with your personal account or a business page.
They charge $0.5 for shipments below $8 and 5% for shipments above $8.
The icon pointed at the top is the way you will use to access the marketplace, while the circled area shows you the apparel category.
Instagram is an app that allows you to create and share pictures with your family and friends.
You can use the platform to display the clothes you have in stock for family and friends to buy.
You can use Instagram ads to increase the reach of your posts to many people who could be interested in the clothes you sell.
WhatsApp is the social media app with the highest number of users in Nigeria, one of the first apps Nigerians install when they buy a smartphone is WhatsApp.
Because it is easy to use and the people you have on the platform are people you know since you must have the person’s phone number to relate on the platform through chat, status, video and audio call.
The introduction of WhatsApp business App has made it easy for businesses to display their products through catalogues, location through maps and contact details.
Above is a sample of what your business account will look like, you will be able to post pictures of the clothes you are selling, your working hours, and your location.
WhatsApp status is also a good place to display pictures of the clothes you are selling but while doing that make sure you are also adding value to people on your status.
When you are always displaying pictures without adding any value to people through your status you will eventually drive some potential customers away.
Since they are at liberty to decide whether to view your status or not they can even mute you because you will look too desperate.
Post valuable content on how to maintain certain kinds of clothes, how to wear certain kinds of outfits, clothes color combinations, and other valuable information.
WhatsApp is a good place to sell clothes if you know how to do it.
5. eCommerce website
An eCommerce website is a website that allows you to display your clothes 24/7 with full description and easy online payment.
The advantage of using a business eCommerce site over-posting on big online marketplaces is that you have control over your website and you won’t have to share your revenue with anybody.
But you will have to market your website digitally to drag traffic to it, this will involve using paid ad, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Email Marketing and Social media marketing (SEM).
Starting your eCommerce website may look demanding but it has a great reward if you strategically market it.
To start your eCommerce website you will need to buy hosting, domain name and also install eCommerce builders like WordPress woocommerce, bigcommerce, Wix etc.
The most popular and easy to use is WordPress woocommerce, all you have to get started after buying your hosting (a space on the internet) and domain ( the name your website will be identified with) is installing WordPress CMS, theme and plugins like woocommerce, Yoast etc.
When you are done with the installation you will then edit your website to your desire, and you can finally upload the pictures of your clothes with a full description.
The website will also contain an about me page, contact me page and live chat.
If you don’t have the time to start your eCommerce website to sell clothes online you can lease it out to a professional to design it for you at an affordable price.
Truehost Nigeria offers affordable, quality, and reliable Webhosting services that you or your web designer can use to host your eCommerce website.
It also has a special hosting package for eCommerce websites.
Enjoy our quality services by hosting your eCommerce site with Truehost.
You will now learn tips on how to sell clothes online in Nigeria and be successful.
Cheap online clothing stores in Nigeria
Here are some cheap online clothing stores in Nigeria:
- The5kShop: Offers a wide range of fashion products such as bags, clothing, shoes, and belts at affordable prices without compromising on quality.
- Lagmall: Provides amazing deals on fashion, clothing, accessories, and gadgets at cheap rates. It is a popular online market for clothing in Nigeria.
- SOJOEE: An online fashion store based in Lagos, Nigeria, that offers the latest men’s and women’s wear, footwear, bags, and accessories at competitive prices. It is known for providing quality products and the newest trends.
- Xtamaliy: A leading online shopping store in Nigeria, offering quality dresses, tops, and accessories. It is known for its trendy and affordable fashion items.
- Payporte, ALL THINGS CHIC, BesazBoutique, Konga, and Kaiglo are also mentioned as some of the best places to buy cheap clothes online in Nigeria.
These stores offer a wide variety of clothing options at affordable prices, making them popular choices for online shopping in Nigeria.
Tips on how to sell clothes online in Nigeria and be successful
1. Post clear pictures
Don’t allow yourself to fall into the temptation of posting pictures snapped with an average smartphone, if your phone does not have very high resolution don’t snap the clothes with it.
Buy or rent a good camera and snap the clothes, it will help you convert more people, blurry images are not good for your business website.
While snapping, try to snap from different angles so your leads ( potential customers) will have a better understanding of what they want to buy.
2. Describe your clothes well
The description you write about the clothes you are selling should be clear and concise.
Don’t beat around the bush, briefly describe the benefits of the clothes before writing about the features, while writing, make sure the emphasis is on the benefits your customers will get from buying the clothes and not the features or properties of the clothes.
3. Have a good customer service
It is important that you have a good system to respond to people promptly when they have inquiries or issues.
Delay in responding to people can affect your business, therefore, try to have someone to do it for you if you won’t be able to do it yourself.
4. You must not reinvent the wheel
What “you must not reinvent the wheel” means is that you must not try to do something new from the scratch, follow what is working for others.
Try to research your competitors, try to see what is working for them and implement it on your website, social media and business as a whole.
This will make selling clothes online in Nigeria easy for you because you will be standing on the shoulders of people that have gone ahead of you.
Always remember that there are principles to making to becoming successful online, if it were not so everyone that starts selling online would be successful but as you already know that is not the case.
Be consistent in selling, sell daily, advertise daily, market daily.
When you are always out selling, your brand will be clear to people.
Finding Fashion Deals: How to Buy Cheap Clothes Online in Nigeria
Nigeria’s online fashion scene is booming, offering a plethora of options for budget-conscious shoppers.
Whether you’re looking for trendy outfits or everyday basics, there are several ways to snag great deals on clothes online. Here are some tips to help you find the best prices and navigate the Nigerian e-commerce landscape:
- Jumia: Nigeria’s largest online retailer boasts a vast selection of clothing at competitive prices. They offer frequent discounts, flash sales, and free shipping promotions.
- Konga: Another established player with a wide range of clothing brands and styles. They offer competitive prices and frequently run promotional campaigns.
- PayPorte: This platform specializes in trendy fashion for men and women, often featuring affordable prices and regular sales.
- The5kShop: As the name suggests, this platform focuses on offering stylish clothing for under 5,000 Naira. They offer new arrivals daily and cater to a budget-conscious audience.
2. Utilize Deal Sites and Flash Sales Platforms:
- DealDey: This platform offers daily deals on various products, including clothing, at heavily discounted prices.
- Jiji: Primarily a classifieds platform, Jiji also offers a wide range of clothing items at bargain prices. Be sure to research sellers and verify product details before making a purchase.
3. Explore Wholesale and Thrift Stores Online:
- Adiba Global: This online store specializes in wholesale clothing, offering significantly lower prices for bulk purchases.
- Thrift Treasure Nigeria: This platform curates vintage and second-hand clothing, offering unique finds at affordable prices.
4. Utilize Price Comparison Websites:
- PriceCheck Nigeria: This platform allows you to compare prices for the same item across different online stores, helping you find the best deal.
- Pricepally: Similar to PriceCheck Nigeria, this website allows for price comparison and helps you discover deals and promotions.
5. Follow Social Media and Subscribe to Brand Newsletters:
- Many brands and online stores announce sales and promotions on their social media platforms. Follow your favorite brands and retailers to stay updated on their latest offers.
- Subscribing to brand newsletters can also keep you informed about upcoming sales and exclusive discounts.
Additional Tips for Buying Cheap Clothes Online in Nigeria:
- Shop during off-season sales: Many retailers offer significant discounts on clothing during off-season sales.
- Utilize discount codes and coupons: Many online platforms and brands offer discount codes and coupons that can help you save money on your purchases.
- Compare shipping costs: Pay attention to shipping costs when comparing prices across different platforms.
- Read product reviews: Reading reviews from other customers can give you valuable insights into the quality and fit of the clothing.
- Beware of scams: Be cautious of online deals that seem too good to be true and avoid sharing personal information with unknown sellers.
- Use secure payment methods: Stick to well-known and trusted payment gateways when making online purchases.
- Shop at stores that offer free returns: This will allow you to return or exchange items that you are not satisfied with.
If you follow these tips and utilize the resources available online, you can find great deals on clothes in Nigeria without breaking the bank.
Remember to be patient, compare prices, and prioritize reputable platforms to ensure a safe and successful shopping experience.
There are many ways to sell clothes online in Nigeria, you have the option of selling on more than one.
It is advisable that you pick one to three so that your concentration won’t be divided, you can start with one and then proceed to the next platform when you have gotten ground.
Check Truehost Nigeria affordable and reliable hosting to sell your clothes online in Nigeria through your eCommerce website.