Anybody that wants to maximize the opportunity available in this digital age needs to take his her business online. One of the ways to do that is to learn how to sell on Jumia.
Jumia is one of the top eCommerce websites in Nigeria and Africa as a continent. It started operation in Nigeria in 2012 and has expanded to many other African countries.
Jumia’s direct competitor in Nigeria is Konga. Read the comparison between Konga and Jumia to get a better understanding of how the two giant online marketplaces in Nigeria operate.
Jumia has succeeded in building a brand in Nigeria over the years, therefore selling on Jumia has become one of the easiest ways to sell products online in Nigeria.
Available data on Jumia website shows that they have about 35,000,000
number of views per month and 225,000 average Number of potential customers monthly.
How to sell on Jumia
- Fill the form with the following details
- Mail address and phone number
- Details of your company (address, legal name, etc.)
- Bank account details
- Check your email to verify your account
- Go through the new sellers training
- Upload the pictures of your products
- Start selling
It is important to state that jumia accept sellers in Lagos alone, therefore you cannot sell on their platform if you are living outside of Lagos.
The reason for this is that every seller is expected to carry his or her products to their dropoff before shipping them to customers; since they have dropoffs only in Lagos, you cannot sell if you don’t live there.
Jumia 360 Seller Dashboard
Your seller dashboard is like the control room of your account. You will be able to manage everything that has to do with your account through your dashboard.
Your dashboard enables you to add or remove products, add your bank account details, manage your deliveries and do a lot of other functions.
Some additional things you can do on your dashboard are :
- Keep track of your inventory and update your listings
- Keep track of orders that are in Jumia network
- Join the promotional campaigns
- Use customer metrics tools to monitor your seller performance
Jumia commission is a certain percentage charged by them for every product you sell on their platform. The commissions vary based on the type of product you are selling.
How to create products on Jumia
For you to sell on Jumia, you need to upload images of products you are selling and describe the products well to help your potential customers’ decision-making process.
Describing your products effectively is what will distinguish your products from that of others selling on Jumia.
Following the following steps to create products on Jumia.
- Log in to your Jumia account
- Click on create a new product
- Select the category or subcategories of your products
- Fill in the product information
- Main color
- Fill in the product descriptions
- Warranty type
- Additional information
- Click on the image tab to add your images
- Add the price of your product
The images you are uploading must be of high quality and not more than 2 Mb. They have guidelines you must follow to avoid rejection by their team, some of the reasons why your products can be rejected are
- Duplicate products
- No image
- Wrong description
- Fuzzy images
There are still other ways to create products on Jumia, namely:
- 1 by 1
- “Sell yours” feature
- Massive creation with bulk templates
- Jumia content team
The method described above is the 1 by 1 method of product creation on Jumia. You can try other methods when you start selling on Jumia
How to deliver products on Jumia
When you start to sell on Jumia, it is important that you check your dashboard and email address frequently for orders.
Failure to do that will mean that you will miss your orders because you are expected to take your order to the dropoff within 24 hours.
Jumia has two options of delivery
- Prepare and drop off your packages to Jumia VDO stations.
- Subscribe to Jumia Express service
Prepare and drop off your packages to Jumia VDO stations
When you receive an order, you are expected to package the products and take them to Jumia’s VDO station within Lagos for your package to be delivered to your customers.
This option of delivery takes off the stress from you, Jumia will take takes care of the inventory and deliver your products directly to your customers when an order is made.
All you have to do is to transport all your products to Jumia and then they will take care of the rest. But it comes with a price, you will have to subscribe to Jumia Express to enjoy these benefits.
The image above is a sample of the Jumia express subscription
Also, note that there are conditions you must meet for you to be able to subscribe to Jumia Express.
How to receive payment from Jumia
You need to add your bank information to your dashboard to get paid, your money will be transferred to your account when the refund date expires.
The first thing you need to do is add your bank details to your dashboard. When a customer pays for your products, Jumia will take their commission and then make the money available to you when no refund request is made within the timeframe.
Prohibited products on Jumia
Some of the items that can’t be sold on Jumia are:
- Currency, valid invoices from any country. Fake money and every product which counterfeit financial instruments.
- Every financial instrument disapproved by applicable financial controlling authorities
- Stolen or counterfeit goods
- Illegal substances and products sold to produce, modify or consume illegal substances. Drugs, medicines, steroids…
- Plants and animals threatened by extinction. Fur, organs, part of animals…
- Any explosive material
- Flammable material
- Fireworks, ammunitions and every manual which would explain how to build bombs and explosives
- Articles considered as being part of the historic patrimony
- Every article related to hacking
- Weapons and items related to ammunitions, bullets…
- Fake IDS, fake birth certificate, driving license… Or any fake document
Tips on how to sell on Jumia successfully
Taking some little steps can make a great difference in your sale on Jumia, you will find out about some of them now
- Adhere to all the guidelines on Jumia
- Price your products well
- Deliver the exact products you listed
- Describe your products well or give copywriter to do it for you
These steps may seem like common sense but it will surprise you to see that many people are not doing them which is making them lose customers.
The product description is very important in sales. When describing products make sure you focus on benefits rather than features of the products. And if it is too much stress, just hire a copywriter to do it for you.
Selling on Jumia has its benefits, like access to many potential customers and free registration, it also has its downside.
Some of them are high competition, loss of brand identity, commission charges, and lack of control over the website.
The remedy to this is starting your eCommerce website to sell your products which require buy hosting and a domain name after which a web designer will charge you a one-time fee for design.
You have the option of choosing between selling on an online marketplace like Jumia or selling on your eCommerce website. Choose the option that fits into your budget and long-term business plan.
You can also read here how to sell on Konga.