There are many online marketplaces in Nigeria but Jumia and Konga are the dominant ones so far.
They have been able to stand the test of time and have become the favorite online marketplace for both vendors and sellers in Nigeria.
This is the reason why newbie buyers and vendors want to compare the two platforms when trying to buy or sell respectively.
The post will discuss the features that make online marketplaces good e-commerce platforms for both vendors and buyers and then use them as yardsticks to compare Konga vs Jumia.
1. Sign up process for Konga vs Jumia
The signup process for the vendors that want to sell in an online marketplace ought to be simple to convert as many people as possible.
Signup process for Konga
- Register using your Gmail or Facebook account or email/phone number
- Take good photos of your items from different angles to make buyers have a good view of what they want to buy
- Upload the pictures you snapped and then write a full description of your product
- Press sell to publish it live
Signup process for Jumia
- Fill the form with your details
- Check your email to verify your account
- Go through the new sellers training
- Upload the pictures of your products
- Start selling
Konga and Jumia both have a simple signup process.
2. Vendor dashboard for Konga vs Jumia
A vendor dashboard is a page that displays all the transactions of a vendor(seller) on an online marketplace.
The dashboard should be simple and easy to understand.
Dashboard for Konga vendors
The dashboard on Konga comprises Orders, products, warehouse, reviews, wallet etc.
The options are there to make the vendor monitor and manage sales of the product listed on his or her store listing on Konga.
Dashboard for jumia vendors
Jumia dashboard also has options to add products and monitor products that are being delivered or cancelled.
3. Return policy for Konga vs jumia
This is an important feature of an online marketplace because sometimes some eventualities happen beyond human control.
The vendors always carry the burden because as the saying goes “customers are always right”. Nevertheless, some conditions must be met for products to be returned.
Return policy on Konga
Konga has return policy guidelines that must be met before a product can be returned.
- Changed mind request– This applies for only fashion category.
- Wrong Items– You will refunded all the cost spent wen a wrong item different from what you ordered is being delivered to you.
- Incomplete Item– When the item delivered to you is not complete you will be refunded.
- Defective Items– If you are being dekivered an item that has defect, you will be refunded.
- Damaged (in transit)– You must lay report of damaged item(s) within 24 hours for you to be refunded.
- Product Standard– When the item delivered is beloe the standard in terms of functionality, you will be refunded.
Items not eligible for return on Konga
- Jewellery, innerwear, bed sheets, lingerie and socks.
- Products in beauty, health and personal care category.
- Books and CDs
- Products that have been altered from their original or opened by an authorized personnel without permission.
- Products damaged due to misuse.
To get the full list of the items you can visit the website. Note that a refund is being made of Konga when you lay complaint within 7 days of receiving the item.
Return policy on Jumia
- You can return wrong, damaged, defective or counterfeit item.
- You must return the product packaged the way it was delivered to you.
- If you created a password on any iitem, you must remove it, failure to that makes your return invalid.
- You will get your refund within 24 hours when you drop it at the nearest Jumia dropoff.
Items not eligible for a refund on Jumia
The following items are not eligible for a refund on Jumia.
Beach & Swimwear, Books & Stationery, Bra, drugs, events and ticket, facial skincare, Women Perfumes, software, spa, nightwear, sim cards, hair care, hair extension etc.
Visit the website to see the complete list of the items you can return on Jumia.
4. Payment methods of Konga vs Jumia
The payment method is the way customers pay for products on online marketplaces.
Payment method on Konga
Konga uses Kongapay for receiving payments. Kongapay makes it easy for people to make payments on their platform without having to input bank details repeatedly.
After registering on Kongapay you will be able to make payment without having to enter sensitive credit/debit card details or Internet banking passwords.
Payment methods on Jumia
You can pay using JumiaPay (like Kongapay), cash or your local Mastercard, VISA or Verve card to pay on our POS machine at delivery.
5.Commission charged for selling on Konga vs Jumia
Selling on an online marketplace comes with a price. You will be charged a certain percentage whenever you make a successful sale on their platform.
Commission charged for selling on Konga
The commission charged for selling on Konga starts from as low as 1.5% to as high as 20% depending on the product you are selling. Check the image below to see some of the commissions charged.
Commission charged for selling on Jumia
Jumia also charges based on the category of products you are selling. See the image below for a sample of percentage commissions charged.
Other features of Konga vs Jumia
Other features of a good online marketplace are rating and review of products integration, customer care, mobile-friendliness etc.
Jumia and Konga have mobile-friendly websites and rating and review integration for products.
Konga vs Jumia Review
The spotlight is on these two online marketplaces in Nigeria because they have a higher number of monthly visitors and products compared to others.
That is why review sites like Sitejabber and Trustpilot have reviews on Jumia and Konga.
The reviews and ratings there show the grief of customers on the customer service of Nigeria’s giant online marketplaces.
They both have poor reviews on the sites even though they are the leading online marketplaces in Nigeria, which means they still need to improve their customer care service and product inspection to reduce customer complaints.
Konga and Jumia are good online marketplaces to buy and sell online in Nigeria.
You can choose any of them to buy or sell products online in Nigeria based on your preference of services provided and the products you want to buy or sell.