When the world is getting hype on tech, there’s no better time to dive in. Nigeria has a lot to offer tech companies, with its young and growing tech scene.
Fortunately, there are ways to start a tech blog in Nigeria without breaking the bank or hiring an expensive writer.
What is a tech blog?
A tech blog is a website that talks about the latest in technology and is usually written by a tech blogger.
Tech blogs in Nigeria are popular because they offer news and analysis on the latest technology trends and how they are used in the real world.
They can be written by an expert in the field or a regular person who has an interest.
Even though you don’t need to know everything about tech, having an understanding of it helps.
If you want to start a tech blog, you should write about it regularly, whether it’s something new or something that’s already been covered.
You will also like to have fun while writing, so it should be interesting to read.
Step 1: Pick a Tech Niche for Your Blog
When it comes to starting a tech blog in Nigeria, you have to consider who is your target audience.
You can start a tech blog in Nigeria on any topic that interests you. However, there are certain things to consider when picking a niche:
Technology is always changing. So, it is important that your blog cover the most recent technology trends.
As an example, if you are writing about mobile apps or technology trends in Nigeria, look at other blogs that are covering the same topic. You may find some interesting similarities and differences between them. Set yourself apart from the crowd by being unique and different from the others!
Pick a niche that is interesting to you but does not overlap with others. If you are blogging about something like mobile apps for iOS development, do not write about Android app development or Windows Phone apps.
It’s important that your blog covers all areas of tech in Nigeria. The more topics you cover, the more readers can benefit from your content and information.
Types of Tech Niches
- Tech Support with Common Issues: This blog is about common issues that many Nigerians face in the technology world. You can write about topics like how to fix a computer, how to fix a smartphone, or how to fix a tablet.
- Tech Repair: This blog is about how to fix a specific piece of technology or how to repair a specific model of technology. This blog can also include how to fix your own technology.
- Tech Tutorial: This blog is about how to do a specific task with technology. It could be on how to install an OS on a specific device, how to set up a Skype account, or how to create an online business.
- Gadget Reviews: This blog is about how to buy a specific gadget, like a laptop or phone. You can also review a specific gadget or write about what is coming out in the tech world. A good example is this blog talking about phones in Kenya. Inside, you will find reviews, industry news, and expert tips on mobile phones. This proves a tech blog can be about anything.
Step 2: Choose a Blogging Platform
Once you have the niche, you need a blogging platform to start a tech blog in Nigeria. There are three main types of blogging platforms: WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr.
- WordPress is the most popular choice for bloggers because it is easy to use and has more features than Blogger or Tumblr. WordPress is a great choice when you want to create a website with your blog posts. You can use WordPress themes to customize your site or get your own domain name and email hosting at Truehost Nigeria.
- Blogger is also easy to use but it doesn’t have as many features as WordPress, which means that there are fewer options for customization or hosting it on your own domain name or email hosting service. You can make changes using HTML code but this isn’t as easy as using a CMS like WordPress.
- Tumblr is different from other blogging platforms because it uses an image-based format instead of text-based formatting. It also has a way for people to follow your blog through RSS feeds so that they can get updates when you write new posts.
Why You Should go With WordPress
WordPress has a large community of users who are willing to help you if you have any questions or problems. If you don’t know how to do something, there is probably someone on the WordPress forums who can answer your questions.
Another reason why it is better to go with WordPress is that it has a lot of themes and plugins that you can use to customize your blog layout and make it look more professional.
You can also use plugins like Akismet, which help prevent spam comments from being posted on your blog.
WordPress is easy to learn because all the functionality that you need for an effective blog is included in the basic version of WordPress. It doesn’t cost anything for hosting and there are many free themes available for download from the WordPress themes website.
Step 3: Buy a Domain Name and Hosting
The third step in creating a tech blog is choosing a domain name and hosting.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is an address where your website is located. It’s a unique string of characters that identifies your website, and it’s how people can find it.
The domain name should be easy to remember and simple to type in.
For example, the domain name for this blog is “technologeeksi”.
When choosing a domain name, you should choose something short and memorable so that it doesn’t get forgotten easily. A good choice would be “techblog” or “technologyblog”.
We will also need a web host to hold our blog’s content.
What is a web host?
A web host is a company that provides space for your website on its servers. All websites need to be hosted somewhere.
The hosting company will also provide access to their servers and handle any technical issues that might arise.
There are many hosting companies out there, but I recommend Truehost for anyone just starting out in the tech industry. They have a free plan with great features and support available 24/7, so you don’t have to worry about technical problems at all!
Step 4: Set Up Your Tech Blog
Now that you have chosen a domain name, we can go ahead and set up our blog.
First, we need to install WordPress on your domain. You can ask your hosting provider to do that if you can’t.
The next step is to install a theme. A theme is a visual design that is used to create the look and feel of your blog.
I personally like the default WordPress theme, which has a dark background, a red “Thumbs Up” button, and a green “Like” button. You can find more WordPress themes here.
Or you can make your own if you want to.
Once you set up all the necessary elements, you can also install some plugins. A plugin is a piece of software that adds extra features or functionality to your blog. The plugins I use are:
- Contact Form 7: This is a contact form that automatically puts the email address of the people who fill out your contact form in the footer of your blog, so you can easily send them an email.
- Google Analytics: This plugin shows you how many visitors you have for your blog, as well as how long they stay on your blog and what pages they visit most often. It also gives you a breakdown of how many people come from google search results, referrals from other blogs, and social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Yoast SEO: This plugin helps you to write better content so that search engines can easily find it. It also makes it easier for people to read your blog, by automatically tagging things such as your author name and the title of your blog post.
- W3 Total Cache: This plugin caches the images on your blog so that they do not have to be re-downloaded when you visit the same page again. It also serves the images faster, meaning less time is wasted waiting for an image to load on your computer.
Finally, add some essential pages to your blog. These pages should be the most important ones and the ones that will help your blog rank high in search engines.
- About Us page
Step 5: Start Publishing Articles
The fifth step in how to start a tech blog in Nigeria is to create content.
As you write your articles, it’s essential to publish them on your blog. You can use WordPress’ built-in publishing feature to make this easier.
Once you are happy with the quality of your work, it’s time to publish it! You can do this by going to WordPress’ dashboard, clicking on “Posts” and then choosing “publish.”
Once published, you can link to the article from your blog or social media. Once you’ve published your first article, it’s time to start publishing more!
How do I find topics to write about?
There are a lot of topics you can write about. But the most important thing is to be consistent. This means that you need to publish at least two articles every week.
You can use Google to find topics, but I’d recommend going for a more organic approach.
This means that you should look for topics based on what’s happening in the industry and what your readers are asking for.
For example, if your readers want to know about new tech innovations happening in the country, then you should write about them!
If they want to know how blockchain is affecting their lives, then you should write about it! You get the idea: it’s best to avoid writing about things that have already been covered by other people or companies.
Another thing is that you shouldn’t just focus on writing new technology and innovation articles; instead, think of ways in which these technologies can be used in different industries and businesses. That way, your blog will not just be all tech-related but also business related as well!
Step 6: Promote Your Tech Blog in Nigeria
Once your blog is up and running, you can use it to promote yourself.
The first thing you need to do is make sure that you have a good social media presence.
This means that you should have a Twitter account, a Facebook page, and an Instagram account.
It is also important that you join as many relevant social media groups as possible.
You should also start using the hashtag #NaijaTechBlog so that people can find your blog easily.
Another way of promoting your blog is by advertising on other blogs’ pages in Nigeria.
You can do this by writing an article about your blog and linking it to their website or blog post! This will help them promote your blog as well!
Step 8: Monetize Your Blog
Why start a tech blog in Nigeria if you are not going to make money, right?
Once you have built up a large audience for your blog, it is time to monetize it.
There are different ways in which you can do this.
One way is by selling your own products and services on your blog. For example, if you are a blogger and you have a new e-book out, you can put the link on your blog so that people can buy it from your site.
Another way is by using affiliate marketing. This means that when people buy an item from an affiliate link on your blog, they will be directed to the product’s website and will be charged a commission! This is very effective because most Nigerians are used to buying things online!
You should also use social media advertising to promote yourself as an expert in your field and get people to visit your website! You should also start writing guest blogs for other websites so that you can get more exposure!
Tech blogs are an easy way to share information about tech in Nigeria. They help people find out more about technology and have fun while doing it.
The best part is that you don’t need to be a technical expert to do this blog – all you need is a great idea, some determination, and a bit of skill!
Tech blogs in Nigeria can be started on any topic that interests you. As long as your blog covers the most recent tech trends in Nigeria, you will attract readers who want to learn more about what’s happening in the world of technology.
If you want to start a tech blog in Nigeria, follow these steps.